I Love Pictures!!!

Monday, March 4, 2013

Yep I get to go home

February 15, 2013 - my reconstructive surgeon (Dr. Crosby) came in around 6:30 am to check on me. She said I did well in surgery & physically I was doing well. She told me that she had already put in 250 cc's into the tissue expanders. Yay!!! After she left I obviously went back to sleep until my surgical oncologist (Dr. Caudle) came in to check on me. She said they took out the first 3 lymph nodes because being HER2+ there is always cancer in them. I only had cancer in 1 and it was 1mm in size. Normally when lymph nodes are removed due to cancer being in them (as well as other stipulations) the patient has to have radiation. Dr. Caudle said that since it was only in one (& if the pathology report came back with nothing new) I wouldn't have to do radiation. 

They sent off the 3 lymph nodes & tested 20 other lymph nodes and the pathology report would be back in about a week. I have been praying for no radiation because if I have to have radiation then I would never be able to have an implant on the right side (where the cancer was) for reconstruction. Instead I would have to have what is called back flap surgery to recreate that breast. Long story short, many more surgeries & I more than likely would never be very symmetrical. 

No comments:

Post a Comment