I Love Pictures!!!

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Let's talk genetics

January 8, 2013 - my mommy's birthday!  Happy Birthday Mom!

Zac and I went and met with the genetics doctor.  We discussed my family history and cancer in the family.  I found out over the weekend that my Maw-Maw Guilbeaux had two sister diagnosed with breast cancer.  According to the doctor the BRCA 1 & BRCA 2 gene is in our body (men and women)  is there as   a defense against breast cancer and ovarian cancer.  Oddly, it is carried through the male side of the family, which is weird considering they don't have ovaries and not as much breast tissue as a woman.  

But when this gene is tested they are looking for different variations/mutations in the gene.  If there is a "code" problem, then you are tested positive for the "breast cancer" gene.  Considering the breast cancer is on my Maw-Maw's side they felt like my chances of testing positive were around 5 - 10%  If it was on Paw-Paw's side, then I would more than likely test positive.

If tested positive, your chances of developing breast cancer in the other breast is 60%.  Normally breast cancer won't move to the remaining breast if you are tested negative.  Also, a normal woman has a 1 - 2% chance of developing ovarian cancer.  If tested positive for the BRCA 1 & BRCA 2 gene their chances to increase to 40%.

According to the genetics doctor, there is not a great test for discovering ovarian cancer and that is why they usually remove the ovaries.  They will wait to remove them when a woman has reached 35 and has already had children or wait until she has children, if over 35.  Again, if I test negative that is great, but again it is the chemotherapy that will hinder me having children unless I freeze my eggs.

To test for this gene is just a simple blood test.  After meeting with the genetics doctor I went and had my blood drawn.  We should get the results in about 3 weeks.  I hope this was informative and I hope I interpreted this correctly.  We will keep you updated on the next appointment.  I love you all and appreciate your support and prayers!  You guys are the best!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amber, you are such an inspiration with your positive attitude. Keep it up, it will get you far with your treatment. Still praying for ya and am here for ya!!

    ReplyDelete